HMRC reveal the top 5 worst tax return claims
HMRC have revealed the top 5 most extreme expenses people have tried to include in their tax return claims. The list of claims range from flip flops to chocolate storage, and unsurprisingly, they were all unsuccessful. Here is the full list of strange costs people have tried to claim for:
1) The costs for storing Mars bars overnight in a fridge
2) The cost of a pair of flip flops so I don’t have to walk barefoot between my work’s changing and shower rooms
3) The costs for my intimate waxing
4) I bought a second hand car to get me from home to work so I didn’t have to walk
5) I purchased my own flat, so I need to claim back the money I spent on the furniture.
Of course there are a number of business and job-related expenses that you can claim for, but HMRC will not allow claims such as beauty treatments or furniture for your own home to be included.
If you are in any doubt whether you can claim a particular expense on your tax return, get in touch with our tax team who will be happy to help.
The information was correct at time of publishing but may now be out of date.