Research & Development Tax Relief
If you’ve invested in R&D, or even if you aren’t sure if what you’ve done is R&D, we can help and assess to see if you’re entitled to tax relief.
For many businesses, R&D is a big financial commitment with potentially huge rewards – giving you a valuable advantage over your competitors. Or as we find in many cases – businesses don’t even realise they are doing R&D, they just see it as improving the way they work.
With our experts’ help we can help you unlock potential tax relief on your known and unknown R&D activities. We are experts in R&D tax claims, with over 13 years’ experience in reviewing, managing and submitting successful claims.
How it all works
If you’re an SME with;
- less than 500 employees
- annual turnover of less than £100million, and
- balance sheet assets of less than £86million
you can claim back up to 33% of your costs. If your company’s larger than that, you can claim up to 10%.
Did you know?
- £3.5bn was claimed in R&D tax credits in 2017 (25% increase from the previous year)
- Only £350m of this was claimed by companies in the North of England
- 85% of claims came from SME’s
- 71% of the total claims are from businesses in the following three sectors;
- Information and communication
- Professional, scientific and technical
- The average claim is £53,876
- At Cowgills we have 13 years’ experience in dealing with R&D tax claims
- In the previous three years, Cowgills have saved our clients over £6m – that’s an average of £88k per client!
Gathering the evidence for a claim
Essentially, your claim needs to demonstrate to HMRC that your research is not only technologically innovative, but also ahead of other options currently available – and that’s where we come in.
We take full responsibility from beginning to end – gathering evidence, putting your claim together and answering any questions raised by HMRC. All whilst making the process simple and minimising disruption so you can concentrate on running your business.
If you’re not sure whether you’d qualify, don’t worry – we’re happy just to have an exploratory chat to assess your case.
Come and See us
We would be delighted
to hear from you.
Meet the team
News & Insight
Corporate Finance expands after delivering deals over £100m
Every journey starts with a destination – looking at the bigger picture for your wealth and security
Sleepwalking into retirement – how much will you need to save to afford a comfortable retirement?
Meet the team – Helen Luxford
Prompt Payment Code – Is the public sector playing by the same rules?
Cultivate the art of patience – avoid knee-jerk reactions by focusing on long-term investment objectives
Capital Gains Tax Planning – plan ahead for April 2020 changes
Planned cut in corporation tax shelved by Boris Johnson
6 jobs saved by Cowgills Business Recovery team